Toddler | 15 months to 3 years
Rapidly developing, constantly exploring, determined to do things independently — toddlers learn by working with materials that develop their brain through direct experience: seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching, and movement.
Our 5-day Toddler program lays the foundation for a sense of school community. The same group of children come together each day, learning from one another, and deepening relationships that will continue throughout their time at Riverbend. Every element in the design of the Children’s House learning environment empowers young children to dive right in using all their senses to follow their emerging and evolving interests.
At Riverbend, toddlers have myriad opportunities in the classroom and in nature to explore, engage, and master tasks to reach key milestones in their cognitive, physical, and social/emotional development:
- Practical Life builds independence through a focus on caring for self, others, and our environment.
- Mathematics moves from concrete to abstract, using manipulatives to understand quantity, patterns, and shapes.
- Language integrates rich pre-reading and pre-writing resources and activities throughout each day. Spanish language is introduced.
- Music includes creative singing, finger-play, and rhythm.
- Movement captures the spirit of toddlers, building essential motor skills and creating an atmosphere of joyful exuberance.